Creamy Kale & Broccoli Soup
Like it or not, soup season has arrived! As it becomes colder and dryer outside, our bodies thrive off of warm and grounding meals, like stews and soups. Plus, one pot meals are the easiest to prep over the weekend so they are ready to go for lunch or after a busy day of work. This soup incorporates fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats to keep you full and satisfied.
Yeilds: 6-8 servings
Time: 45 minutes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 cup kale (I used Lacinto), chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp coconut cream
1 cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk (from can)
2/3 cup filtered water
1 piece Kombu (option to skip, this is a type of seaweed that aids in digestion)
3 tbsp non-dairy yogurt (use dairy yogurt if it's compatible with your diet)
2 tsp sea salt
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, add a garlic to olive oil and toss for 1-2 minutes
- Add broccoli, kale and zucchini and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes
- Add coconut cream, milk, water, kombu and spices and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Take pan off heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer soup, in 3 batches, to a large blender (make sure not to overfill the blender), add 1 tbsp of yogurt to each batch and blend until thick and creamy. Repeat with remaining batches
- Top with spiced seeds, yogurt, cilantro, etc, and enjoy!