Creamy Carrot Coconut Soup
What's better than a creamy, warm, hearty soup on a cold winter day? For me, usually nothing! Especially when the soup is simple, nutritious, and so easy to make. I fixed this up for one of our Thanksgiving dishes, and it was well received, and easily became my new favorite soup recipe for the season. You're just a few basic ingredients away from this gut-friendly meal!
- Coconut Milk
- Low Sodium Veggie Broth
Yields: 8-10 servings
Time: 1 hour
2 lbs carrots, cut into cubes (peeled if you desire)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp melted or liquid coconut oil
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk (I like Goya brand)
1 tsp ground or grated fresh ginger
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp cumin
Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss carrots, onion and garlic with olive oil and a dash of sea salt and pepper. Lay flat on baking tray and roast for 35-40 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Transfer to a high processing blender or food processor. Add 2 cups of broth, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a stockpot or dutch oven pot over medium heat. Add remaining 2 cups of broth, coconut milk, and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook 5-10 minutes. Season to taste
- Serve warm and top with parsley, dairy-free yogurt, nuts, seeds, or avocado!