Sesame Crusted Brussels Sprouts


I was standing in my kitchen trying to figure out what I could do to "spice up" my basic brussels sprout recipe. I wanted something that would give a nutty, grounding taste plus pack more nutrients. Enter - sesame seeds! I'm a huge fan of sesame. It's a earthy seed and is high in magnesium, iron and zinc. Plus, it's great for your skin (even when ingested). I added flax meal for more protein and omegas plus tigernut powder (optional) for prebiotic fiber!


Yields: 3-4 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed & sliced in half lengthwise
1 tbsp avocado or sesame oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tbsp coconut aminos (optional, but can purchase at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods - it adds great flavor)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 tbsp ground flax meal
1 tbsp tigernut powder (optional or sub with almond flour or whole wheat)
1 tsp sea salt (I use pink himalayan sea salt)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp pepper

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a non-stick baking sheet or line baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil
  2. In a large mixing bowl, add oil, vinegar, aminos and mix well. Add seeds, flax meal, tigernut powder and mix
  3. Throw in cut brussels sprouts, sea salt, cumin, and pepper and toss until brussels are well coated
  4. Spread in one layer on baking sheet
  5. Roast for 45 minutes or until crispy / browned, but check after about 35 minutes to ensure they are not burning



Comments

Popular Posts